It took seven years, but the photographic record of the Columbia Glacier in Prince William Sound on Alaska’s southern central Pacific coast has been compiled into a time-lapse video that documents the glacier’s rapid ice discharge. This is helping researchers to understand better how tidewater glaciers are contributing to seal-lev Distribution Power Line Monitoring System el rise.
The video itself was assembled by the glaciologist William Pfeffer, from the University o Remote Automation f Colorado Boulder, and it shows large chunks of ice splitting away from the main glacier. The ice then flows out to the sea. The glacier began to retreat rapidly in the early 1980s, after being stationary for more than a centur HMI remote accessy. 150 cubic kilometers of ice was spilled into the ocean and the glacier’s terminus has retreated by roughly 20 kilometers.
In 2004, Pfeffer started taking regular photos of the glacier’s terminus. He has now amassed hundreds of images into a time-lapse video to visualize the glacier flow. It was presented at the International Polar Year 2012 scientific meeting in Montreal, Canada, on April 25th.
Typically, for mountain glaciers, the ice flows faster as it gets thicker and steeper. However, the dynamics of glaciers that advance into coastal water are different. Ice is pushed into the ocean and is thinned. Once there, it becomes buoyant, lifting its weight and reducing friction.
The whole glacier became ungrounded in 2007. This was one of the first times that scientists could directly observe the transitions between the floating and grounded states in a temperate tidewater glacier.
[via Nature, image by Michael Hammann]
inhandnetworks博客主頁 Columbia industrial multi sim cellular router Glacier Retreating to the Sea in Alaska
- Dark M cellular router wifi atter Influences Supermassive Black Hole Growth
- Dark Energy S best industrial wifi router urvey Finds New Dwarf Galaxy Candidates
- Colossal Eyes Give Giant Squids an Advantage When Fighting Sperm Whale multi SIM LTE router s
- Columbia industrial multi sim cellular router Glacier Retreating to the Sea in Alaska
- Citizen Scientists Discover K2-138 System: A Near-Resonant Chain of Five Sub-Neptune wordpress plugins Planets
- CID-42: A Recoiling, azure iot certified Supermassive Black Hole?
- Chandra Detects Record magento seo -Breaking Outburst from Sagittarius A*
- Chandra Detec distribution automation ts Diskless Young Stars in Serpens South Cluster
- Cassini Views Saturn’s Moons Enceladus and Te wastewater treatment thys
- Cassini Views Saturn’s Rings and the 4g modem router wifi Shadows They Cast on the Planet